Although legend has it that the first gambling machine was developed in 1891, the internet has taken over almost a hundred years later and online slots have become exceptionally popular. These slots come in various shapes and forms and have most certainly had some drastic make-overs in recent years. Most online casinos have moved away from the classic 3-line slot machines as they found that video slots are fast becoming more prevalent. It’s also different in the online environment where you don’t pull a lever anymore, but rather push a button to spin the reels. Even though it’s not as exciting, the colourful images certainly make up for it.
Video slots are taking online slots to a complete new level as they range from 5 – 15 lines and even 20+ lines as well as free spins and bonus features. Each of these games are designed with rich graphics and crystal clear sound and most of them are themed-based like action, adventure, underwater, etc. What makes playing even more worthwhile is the progressive online slots which can pay out millions to one lucky player. Some of these slot machines even start at a guaranteed 1 million.
Tips for playing online slots?
- Work out how much you want to spend before playing.
- Decide on the bets you want to place: bet sizes vary from 0.01 credit to 10 credits or higher.
- Choose your game: go through the online slots and decide which one to play first or look at recommended games.
- Leave while you’re winning: if you feel lucky and have won a big amount already, rather leave and play another time again. Never play with your winnings.
- Have fun: probably the most important part of playing online slots.
Slot machines are also known as fruit machines in Britain or pokies in Australia. They are sometimes referred to as one-armed bandits as they were originally operated by a lever (arm) on the side of the machine, although this terms is not used in the online environment as much. All machines are designed using a Random Number Generator which is constantly generating random numbers as the button is pressed to spin the reels – this guarantees fair play. Online slots usually have a payout percentage of between 91% and 98%, so it’s always best to look at an online casino’s payout percentage for slot machines before starting to play.